Homemade marshmallows use simple ingredients and are easier to make than you might think. Most recipes call for corn syrup or candy thermometers, but this one does not. The preparation is surprisingly easy, and all you need is an electric mixer. Marshmallows are basically a combination of sugar, water, and gelatin. This mixture is whipped until doubled in volume, resulting in a fluffy marshmallow cream. I have prepared three version: Vanilla, lemon (using fresh lemon juice) and chocolate. If you’ve never had homemade marshmallows, get excited to eat something heavenly! Ready?
Prep time: 15 min
Cooking time: 2 min
Serves: many (a 9*13 inch pan)
- 250 ml water (1 cup)
- 20 g unflavored gelatin (2 sachets)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla paste
- 400 g granulated sugar (aprox 2 cups)
To coat the marshmallows: 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 1/2 cup cornstarch, combined
- Coat a baking pan (mine was 13*9 inches) with butter and set aside. Pour 1/2 cup cold water (125 ml) into a bowl. Sprinkle with gelatin, and let mixture soften (about 5 minutes).
- Combine granulated sugar and 1/2 cup of water in a large heavy saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until dissolved. Bring to a boil, and remove from the heat
- Add the content of the other bowl (gelatin+water) and bring again to a boil, stirring constantly
- Remove from heat. Add vanilla paste and mix. Pour into a large mixing bowl and let stand until warm (it will look like egg whites, it will take about an hour).
- With an electric mixer, beat for 10 minutes on high speed
- Pour into the prepared pan, and spread with an offset spatula
- Sprinkle some powdered sugar and cornstarch on top, and let it sit until set (about four hours or overnight)
- Using a sharp knife, cut it into squares. Or use a cookie cutter, as I did. Don’t forget to dust the knife or cookie cutter with the sugar/cornstarch mixture, to prevent sticking
- Toss the marshmallows in the sugar/cornstarch mixture to prevent sticking
- Store inside a bag in an airtight container up to a week
- For the lemon flavored version, use 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice and 1/4 cup water in step 2. To prepare the chocolate version, just dip the marshmallows in melted chocolate, and let them set in a cool dry place before storing them
- If you want to buy a copy of my last book “Las recetas de la felicidad” (Spanish edition) you can order it on Amazon Spain (They ship worldwide). Also to be found in Amazon France, Amazon Germany, Amazon Italy, Amazon USA and Amazon UK
- If you have prepared this recipe, and want to send me a pic and your comments, please use this form . If you wish to subscribe to receive my recipes in English please do it here