Today we are going to make pasta at home and the first thing I would like to point out is that there is no need to have a pasta maker, although it will make the process faster and easier. The pasta machine is a device with a roller mill, and a little wheel with different positions to adjust the thickness of the dough. The pasta dough passes through the rolls again and again until the desired thickness is obtained. Also the pasta machine is usually provided with fetuccine or spaghetti cutters … But as I said before it can be easily replaced with a rolling pin and a sharp knife.
As a general rule, to prepare pasta at home, calculate about 1 cup flour per egg (medium size). You do not need anything else, not even salt, although I usually add a little bit. You might as well replace eggs with water, calculating about 60 g of water per egg.
This time I wanted to prepare something different, so the pasta is stuffed with herbs, which make it more colorful and tasty. Hope you like it!
- 4 cups (500 g aprox) flour
- 4 eggs (medium size)
- basil, cilantro, sage, parsley,… (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place the flour on a board. Make a well in the centre and crack the eggs into it.
- Slowly mix together with your hands and start kneading until dough becomes smooth and pliable (it will take about 10 minutes)
- Wrap the dough in cling film and let it rest for at least half an hour before you use it
- Cut the dough into 4 pieces, and roll
every of them out on a floured surface as thinly as you desire
- To fill the pasta with herbs, place a sheet of pasta on a slightly floured surface, distribute the herbs over the pasta sheet, pressing them down, and place another pasta sheet on it. Roll it out again (with a rolling pin, or using the pasta machine) until the desired thickness is obtained
- Then proceed to cut the pasta sheet according to the recipe you intend to prepare. To make spaguetti, fetuccine, or parpadelle, roll the flat sheet of dough into a jelly roll. Using a very sharp knife, slice the roll into small rounds (1 mm for spaguetti, 1 cm for fetuccine, 3 cm for parpadelle). Unroll the rounds into long noodles, and toss them with flour. Repeat the process with remainig dough
- Cook home made pasta in boiling water for 3-4 minutes, and serve inmediately
Preparation: 60 min
Cooking time: 3 min (plus resting time)