Recipe: Decorated milk bread
- 300 g strong wheat flour
- 1 sachet (about 5g) instant dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 level teaspoon salt
- 40 g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 egg (medium size, about 50 gr)
- 175 ml whole milk
- Put the flour and yeast in a bowl and combine. Add the sugar and salt
- Pour the egg and milk into the bowl.
- Use a large spoon (or pastry scraper) to mix everything together.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and knead. You will feel the dough become elastic after kneading for about 5 minutes.
- Add the butter and knead the dough for 5-10 minutes or until the dough is soft, pliable, smooth and slightly shiny, almost satiny.
- Put the dough into a lightly floured bowl and cover with a cloth.
- Let the dough rise in a warm place until its size doubles (1 – 1 ½ hour depending on the room temperature).
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Take the dough out of the bowl, deflate it by touching lightly.
- Cut the dough into 8 pieces, and roll each of them into a ball.
- Place them on a round cake pan (mine was 20 cm diameter), forming a circle, leaving some space between them to rise (about 1 cm)
- Cover with a damp cloth and let them rest for 10 minutes.
- Wet 8 cilantro leaves and put them on each ball.
- Dust the balls with flour
- Bake for about 20 minutes
- Let the bread cool, unmold and enjoy!
Preparation time: 20 minute(s) plus 1 1/2 hour resting time
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8