Today I wanted to share with you another recipe included in my book “Polos y helados” (published last year, in Spanish only)
This pencil icecream is quite popular here in Spain. Children love themit, because of its funny shape.
You just need push up molds, vanilla icecream, chocolate and plastic straws to make them… would you give them a try?
Prep time: 15 min
Cooking time: 10 min + freezing
Yield: 8 icecreams
- 100 g dark chocolate
- plastic straws
- 3 egg yolks
- 250 ml milk
- 250 ml heavy cream
- 150 g sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- push up pop molds
- washi tape
- Place the milk, sugar, vanilla pod and heavy cream into a medium saucepan, over medium heat. Bring the mixture just to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and remove from the heat. In a medium mixing bowl whisk the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Temper the cream mixture into the eggs and sugar by gradually adding small amounts, until about a third of the cream mixture has been added. Pour in the remainder and return the entire mixture to the saucepan and place over low heat. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon. Pour the mixture into a container and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Remove the vanilla pod. Cover and store in the fridge until next day.
- To prepare the chocolate pencil lead, melt chocolate, and using a piping bag fill the plastic straws. Let chill, and when the chocolate is set, unmold the chocolate pencil leads.
- The next day, pour the vanilla cream into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer’s directions. Use as is for (soft) for filling the molds.
- Place a chocolate lead in each mold, pushing gently, and store in the freezer until ready to serve (freeze at least 4 hours before serving)
Chocolate pencil lead:
- Pencil icecream recipe from my book “Polos y helados”
- Before leaving you might want to have a look at my books (selling worldwide). If you have prepared this recipe, and want to send me a pic and your comments, please use this form . If you wish to subscribe to receive my recipes in English please do it here