Depression cake, Wacky cake or Crazy cake is a type of cake that was commonly made during the Great Depression (others say during WW II). The ingredients include no milk, butter or eggs, because they were then either expensive or hard to get at the time. The cake is amazingly rich, moist and flavorful, although it contains no butter or eggs… and it can be mixed in the baking pan, without mixer, no bowls, super easy… what’s not to like?
Preparation time: 10 min
Cooking time: 20 min
Yield: 8×11 inches baking pan (12 people)
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch of salt
- 5 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 200 ml water (0,8 cup)
- 1 tbs cornstarch (20 g)
- 250 g dark chocolate (dairy free), coarsely chopped (9 oz)
Dairy free chocolate frosting:
- Preheat oven to 350º F (180º C).Put flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and cocoa together into a 8 x 11 inch ungreased baking pan.
- Make three wells. Pour oil into one well, vinegar into second, and vanilla into third well.
- Pour cold water over all, and stir well with fork.
- Bake at 350°F. oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until it springs back when touched lightly. Let cool
- To prepare the chocolate frosting, in a small bowl, mix water and cornstarch, until disolved
- In a medium saucepan, heat over low fire. Add chopped chocolate, and stir constantly until smooth
- Pour over cold chocolate cake, and chill until chocolate frosting is set
- Keep in the fridge (take out 15-30 minutes before serving) Use a stencil and some powdered sugar to decorate just before serving
- Sources: All recipes, Los Angeles Times, Wikipedia and Southern Food, among others
- Can be stored in the fridge up to a week
- If you want to buy a copy of my last book “Las recetas de la felicidad” (Spanish edition) you can order it on Amazon Spain (They ship worldwide). Also to be found in Amazon France, Amazon Germany, Amazon Italy, Amazon USA and Amazon UK
- If you have prepared this recipe, and want to send me a pic and your comments, please use this form . If you wish to subscribe to receive my recipes in English please do it here