Prep time: 15 min (plus freezing)
Cooking time: 10 min
Yield: 1 liter (approx)
- 250 ml milk (1 cup)
- 250 ml whipping cream (1 cup)
- 150 sugar (3/4 cup)
- 150 g pistachio paste (5.3 oz)
- 1 tsp (8 g) cornstarch
- 3 egg yolks
- 250 ml whipping cream, very cold (1 cup)
- green food colouring, optional
- In a medium saucepan, bring to boil 200 ml milk (4/5 cup), 1 cup whipping cream, and sugar
- In another bowl whisk egg yolks
- Make a slurry by mixing the remaining milk with the cornstarch, mixing until the starch is dissolved and the mixture is smooth, and add beaten egg yolks
- Pour boiling milk and cream over this mixture, stirring constantly. Strain, and and cook at gentle simmer for a minutes, stirring constantly, until it starts to thicken
- Remove from heat, add pistachio paste and food colouring, if you are going to use it. Stir until smooth
- Scrape into a bowl, and chill thoroughly, preferably overnight.
- Once chilled, freeze the cream in your ice cream machine following the manufacturer’s instructions
- Keep in the freezer in an airtight container
- If you do not have an ice cream maker, David Levobitz suggests simply stirring the ice cream every 30 minutes for about 2 hours as it freezes in the freezer
- If you want to buy a copy of my last book “Las recetas de la felicidad” (Spanish edition) you can order it on Amazon Spain (They ship worldwide). Also to be found on Amazon USA, Amazon France, Amazon Germany y Amazon Italy
- If you have prepared this recipe, and want to send me a pic and your comments, please use this form . If you wish to subscribe to receive my recipes in English please do it here
Love your photos; so perfectly moody and delicious! As an ice cream fanatic, I’d devour this!
Your pictures are amazing, so calm and well colour coordinated. Perfect match for the excellent recipes. I enjoy visiting your blog very much!