Description: Vanilla and chocolate cake that is baked layer by layer, using the grill function
- 250 g butter
- 250 g sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 7 eggs (separate whites and yolks)
- 150 g flour
- 100 g corn starch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 200 g chocolate chips
- 200 gr heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven, grill function only.
- Cream the butter and sugar using an electric whisk, until light and fluffly
- Add egg yolks, one at a time
- Then combine in the flour and starch
- On a different bowl, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until firm, then fold the egg whites into the mixture.
- Divide de mixture in two. Add vanilla extract to one half, and cocoa to the other one.
- Grease and flour a 20-24 cm round cake mold or lay a piece of baking paper in the base.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of white batter and spread in a thin layer on the bottom of the mold
- Grill the layer for approximately 2/3 mins until the top of the layer is golden.
- Take the tin out of the oven and spread a couple more tablespoons of chocolate batter onto the first layer, repeat this process until all the batter is used up.
- Take out of the oven, wait 15 minutes before unmolding. Let it cool on a wire rack.
- Prepare the chocolate ganache.
- In a saucepan, bring heavy cream to boil. Add chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon butter, let rest for a few minutes, and stirr until totally dissolved.
- Let the ganache fall over the cake (still on the wire rack) until completely covered.
- Let it set in the fridge for a couple of hours, and serve.
The sides of the cake are not very appealing, you can check it in the version I prepared 3 years ago (I apologize for the pictures, didn’t know what a camera was at the time!) So I suggest covering the sides of the cake with sprinkles, before the chocolate ganache is totally set.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12